Non-toxic Spring Color Egg Dyes Using Fruits, Vegetables and Herbs
As Easter approaches there are many things that accompany the celebrated holiday. For many there will be easter eggs wrapped in fun, in themes to remember or in both.
The Perfect Egg
- Place eggs in a saucepan with a pinch of slat and cover with filtered water.
- Bring water to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer eggs 12-13 mins for large eggs.
- Remove pan from heat. Using a slotted spoon transfer eggs to a bowl of ice water until cooled.
- Refrigerate until ready to dye or eat or both!
The Perfect Dye
- Add 1 cup of chopped vegetable or fruit of choice to 1 cup of water. 1:1 ratio of water and veggies
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to let simmer for 15 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Strain the cooled dye to remove any food pieces
- Stir 1 TB of white vinegar in each bowl of dye
- Submerge hard boiled egg in the dye and refrigerate 12-24 hours for best results
Note: Colors may vary depending on length of time in the dye and also whether or not you use a brown or a white egg. If you want the speckled look, skip (step 4) straining the pieces of food from the dye and it will produce a speckled effect.
The Perfect Color
Light Green- Parsley dye + white egg for 24 hours
Dark Green- Spinach or Kale dye + brown egg for 48 hours
Pink- Beet or Cranberry dye + white egg for 24 hours
Yellow- Turmeric dye + white egg for 12 hours
Blue- Red Cabbage dye + white egg for 24 hours
Dark Blue- Blueberry dye + brown egg for 48 hours
Red- Yellow Onion Peel dye + brown egg for 48 hours
Orange- Carrot dye + brown egg for 36 hours
Enjoy colors without all the toxins!